Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Outrigger Sheet Layout

Subject to change as with all things.  Similar to what I did when building the mini pontoon boat a few years ago.  Think it might work out ok but will have to mock-up with some cardboard or something first to get a better idea.  I hate waste so trying to get the most from a 4' x 8' plywood sheet....


Don't want to put a keel on my boat and my opinion of leeboards is less than favorable but I'm sure lots of people like them and they have a purpose.  My thinking is, I don't have a need for speed so much but I do want her stable and to keep a straight line.  Learned the proper name for what I'm building, a Trimaran Canoe and so my outriggers (pontoons?) are going to both be in the water sitting still and a short keel will be built into both so that the bottom of the boat and the bottom of the keels will be on the same level if that makes sense, otherwise if set on a level surface, all three points will be touching the floor.  If I'm visioning right, the keels will be about 4 inches below the pontoon bottoms to accomplish this and pontoons float right with the waterline on my canoe if I make slightly curved supports, or whatever those crossarms between pontoons are called haha! Anyway, thats how I imagine it.  Will just have to do it and see how it works out.  Planning a rudder for the boat also...

Construction for these parts will be stitch and/or tape & glue seams.  I have learned with other boat projects in the past that only some areas and not the entire seams need drilling and wire ties, usually only the bow and stern tips where wood torture pressure is greatest, if one has good forms that fit the inner hull well.  Alot of needless work is saved by taping and when a bright finish is desired it just looks alot better without drill holes.

Found a source for free bamboo today and a trip with my nephew planned for this weekend to harvest a bunch to be curing. Big, good stuff!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated prior to posting.